Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Blog Right For Your Type

I was reading up a little bit on personality types today when I decided that it had been too long (5+ years) since taking a personality test. Some googling brought me here for a free adapted Myers-Briggs test.

I was fairly certain how I'd shake out in two of the four categories; its no secret that I fit the Introverted and Thinking types over the Extroverted and Feeling types. I figured going in that I would have some mix of the Intuitive/Sensing and Judging/Perceiving types. In answering the questions, I tried to think of an honest example and then pull the trigger without too much second guessing. My suspicions were (partially) confirmed when I was categorized as an INTJ. I was surprised at the significant margin in the Intuitive type over Sensing, and the low margin in the Thinking over Feeling type. I was close to 50/50 in the Judging/Perceiving category and very strongly Introverted so I was correct there. This personality is sometimes called "The Scientist", which is not too far off.

This post isn't an analysis of the Myers-Briggs methodology or my results in particular, but I was struck by the flaws outlined in a couple passages as they relate to my new blogging endeavour while researching the INTJ type here (the webpage is old-school html which these days lowers credibility, but at least the analysis seemed congruent with other sources I read):

It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear. However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort. 
 And this one:
Often they have very evolved intuitions, and are convinced that they are right about things. Unless they complement their intuitive understanding with a well-developed ability to express their insights, they may find themselves frequently misunderstood. In these cases, INTJs tend to blame misunderstandings on the limitations of the other party, rather than on their own difficulty in expressing themselves. This tendency may cause the INTJ to dismiss others input too quickly, and to become generally arrogant and elitist. 
And so it is that I think blogging will be a good way to develop my ability to articulate my thoughts; I often find difficulty putting words and structure to ideas in a way that I'm confident will make sense, so I hope that I nurture that ability, lest people think I'm (more of) a jerk.

On a side note, INTJs apparently have problems "understanding" other peoples' "feelings." What does it say about me that my first thought was "I wish I could have everyone I care about take this test and report their personality type to me so I could develop a way of interacting with them which meets their emotional needs"? In all seriousness, I will be researching my wife's type (ENFP, opposites attract) to try and understand her better. Feel free, friends, to leave your type in the comments...

8 comments:

  1. Where did you take your personality test? Was it online? I'd like to take one.

    The curious thing about Meyers-Briggs tests is oftentimes they're self-taken, self-analyzed tests. This means there's a lack of standardization across how exams are read. Regardless, I'm not saying they're right or wrong, rather there's probably a great deal of variation of whether one's personality is correct to fall into specific categories.

    I oftentimes wonder if someone's personality can also change per a given situation. I feel like this happens to me often. I wonder if any tests can account for situational personality quirks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is in the first paragraph, but here it is also: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

      I'm not an expert on personality tests, I know MB is widely recognized but I agree that any self-administered test will reflect how you perceive yourself as much as how you actually are. The best you can do is try to think of specific examples to try and hold yourself accountable.

      Some of the analysis talks about behavior in different situations, but it would be interesting to figure out a way to measure how your type profile changes given various situations, e.g. would my slight disposition toward Judging flip to Perceiving in some scenarios? Probably. But would my 86% tilt toward introversion flip the other way? Probably not. This doesn't mean that I can't act extroverted around strangers sometimes, but its something that has to be kind of faked or practice, and is draining rather than energizing.

      Delete
    2. I think that would be a very interesting to measure that, and critically important. The switching is definitely important in most contexts.

      Deloitte actually has a take on this which is less about disposition and more about how you operate in a work environment: http://deloittechemistry.com/

      You're in good company by the way (notice Jay-Z) - http://www.celebritytypes.com/intj.php

      I'm a ENTJ. I'm guessing JBC is a ESFJ (but I think the F probably flips).

      Delete
    3. Something about the Deloitte questions made me react more to how the question was asked, like I felt I "should" answer the question a certain way, more-so than the M-B. The tool for working with people of different types was interesting and helpful though. I'm primarily a Driver, heavy on the Guardian, with Pioneer and Integrator pretty far behind. I think most of all I need to develop my inner Integrator; i.e. What Would Tambe Do?

      Delete
    4. I'll be honest, I completely forgot about this thread (I wish I was alerted when there were comments).

      NT, I've never taken the Meyers-Briggs, but I would say ESFJ is a fairly good representation of me. Even the poor parts of the assessment fit me fairly well.

      NT, did you test and get the ENTJ? I'd be curious, and hopefully in no way is this offensive, but I tend to see more qualities of an ENTP. I can definitely say I see qualities of both, but I'd say ENTP may be fairly more present.

      This leads to an interesting, although related thought. CG, I agree that how one perceives oneself is a fairly subjective variable here. Being a psychologists son, I've never heard of a test where you subject yourself to some type of "peer review" but don't you think that others who are closest to you might have the truest view of your tendencies and quirks? Hah, I suppose I take this assessment from being married. I feel like my wife's view of myself helped shape who I am today because she was able to help me see who I am apart from my own perception of myself.

      Delete
    5. Oh, NT, you might find this fairly comical, but according to the celebrity ESFJ's - Jason Siegel (Marshall) is also an ESFJ.

      The comparisons to How I Met Your Mother won't end.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The key competency for an integrator is listening but not for information...for meaning. And withholding judgement.

    I'm actually not an integrator, primarily, though. I'm a Pioneer-Driver. That being said, as Jeff pointed out, I'm a chameleon and change styles a lot - at work I'm an ENTJ/Pioneer-Driver, socially I'm more of an ENTP/Pioneer-Integrator.

    ReplyDelete